Wednesday, August 31, 2011

keeping the moon

I am one hundred and some pages away from finishing my first book this semester, “Burned” by Ellen Hopkins. I went to the school library a few days ago to get “Crank” by Ellen Hopkins, which is the book I am most excited to read. “Crank” is the first book I wanted to read, but the librarian told me that “Burned” was the first and “Crank” was second. When I got more into “Burned” I realized that the book had nothing to do with “Crank.” After I finish “Burned” I am going to read “Crank.” When I went to the section where I found the books by Ellen Hopkins, I noticed that there were no books.  I asked the librarian, and she said that they were all checked out. L So, I decided was just going to ask a friend to borrow “Crank” one day soon. I went home after school, and my mom had bought me books. Which is how I got into “Keeping the Moon” by Sarah Dessen. I read the back and I thought it would be a good book. I like normal teenage books. I feel like I can relate to them more. Also, the book was not thick; it has only two hundred and twenty-eight pages. I thought it would be an easy, fun read. In the beginning it was kind of a slow boring start, but I kept reading it because I need the pages to finish the assignment. The beginning of the story began with Colie and her mother. They were at a train station to say their goodbyes to each other. The mother wanted Colie to go to her Aunt Mira’s for the summer, because her mother did not want Colie to be alone during the summer time. A long time ago Colie use to be on the fat side, but then her mom became a famous work out trainer. Her mother was known as Kiki Sparks, for her amazing work out videos. After her mother’s fame, Colie became skinny, but apparently she still had a hard time fitting in, according to her mother. Colie is sent away to her eccentric Aunt Mira and Uncle Norman. This book is similar to “Burned,” because both characters, Colie and Pattyn, were sent away to live with a relative. In “Burned” Pattyn was sent away in the summer for being troubled, because apparently to her religious family, she was out of control. In “Keeping the Moon” Colie is sent away because her mother wants her to make the most of her summer. The reasons for sending away the daughters were totally different. Anyways, the book turned around somewhere in chapter four, where Colie meets Morgan and Isabel.

1 comment:

  1. I tried to read this book but thought it was super boring. Goood blog!

    ReplyDelete